Monday 7 October 2013

Confessions of a TV Addict #2 | TV Series Binge Watching Part 1


On this addition of confession of a TV addict I decided to discuss my favourite TV series. A big craze at the minute is to take a whole day or weekend or week in my case haha and sit down and watch an entire season of a TV series. You get the rubbish food out, you stay in your PJs all day, forget the make-up, forget going outside today. It's all about watching 24 episodes of your fave TV programme in a oner, and not even feeling guilty about it, after all we all deserve a bit of down time!

*On reflection I have now decided to write this and then split it into two parts, otherwise it will be a very very long post for you all to read*

There is a variety of different ways to get an entire season of whatever programme you are after. You can subscribe to Netflix which is an amazing instant access website where you can watch many amazing TV series, films and documentary's. It is pretty up to date and has a wide range on content that will suit anybody in the family. 

I also sometimes will download a series from iTunes, it can be a little pricey but its instant access from your sofa. I think its safe to say iTunes updates the quickest too, so you can basically get the new episodes as soon as they air. 

If you are a Virgin Media customer you can watch a lot of series on demand which is amazing. My family have this service in our house so I often I am able to record entire series with a series link. You can also find entire seasons on there on demand service which is so convenient for busy people.

The last suggestion I have is just traditional visiting your local HMV and picking up the DVD boxset. Okay you have to get up and change the disk which can be less than convenient but its nice to have the actual physical DVD to display and prove you are a genuine fan of said programme. It's a bit like CDs really isn't it, you buy them, never use them, but it's nice to have them.

So now for some suggestions as to what you should watch on your beloved duvet day on the couch. I will split it into categories according to mood and taste. The first part of this post will be comedy and girly drama!

Beautiful People, Beautiful Clothes & Drama, Drama, Drama!
Okay so we have our TV for your inner fashionista, teenage girl, drama queen and fabulous, fierce lady. These programmes will not challenge you intellectually, its easy watching, high drama and full of all things beautiful. When you have had a long day and you don't feel your best there is nothing better than channelling a bit of Carrie Bradshaw or Blair Waldorf over a large glass of vino. 

Gossip Girl - Six Seasons of opulent, extravagance from the young and beautiful elite members of the upper east side of New York. It's high drama, high heels and will live you reeling wonder who on earth Gossip Girl actually is. Watch our for the bitch with a heart Blair Waldorf and her hilariously witty put downs and Taylor Momsen before her step into the dark side.

SATC & Carrie Diaries - The originial was obviously Sex and the City with the wonderful Sarah Jessica Parker. If you love fashion, New York, cocktails and gossip then you will love this. Carrie Diaries is the teenage Carrie Bradshaw falling in love with New York city. A little less racy than the original and more for the inner teenager but also amazing clothes and a great storyline. Fashion & Beauty Inspiration galore for all social media obsessives.

Pretty Little Liars - Okay so this is technically a murder mystery and I tell you this programme has more twists and turns in one episode than a normal programme has per season. It stars four beautiful young girls who have impeccable dress sense for 16 year olds, I tell you I didn't dress that well as a teenager. So whethere you watch for the storyline, the outfits or the many hot boys who co star its pretty much a winner. Caleb is very hot!

The O.C - California Cool kids with money, hot parents, buckets of drama and amazing music! This programme is pretty old now, I watched it on T4 on Saturday mornings when I was about 13. I then bought all the boxsets too. It is packed with OTT drama, a bit of comedy from Seth and Summer and pleanty of gorgeous people. It also has an amazing soundtrack and a lot of celeb cameos that will have you hitting google thinking 'Who is that!?'! Seth Cohen, Seth Cohen, SETH COHEN!

Skins - I was the perfect age when this made its début on E4, 15 and as angsty as the most stereotypical teenager can be! It can be pretty wild in parts, very sex, drugs and rocknroll! It has great characters and its amazing to see the characters development throughout, it is amazingly well written with orginial story lines that shock and warm the heart. It has 3 different generations and I genuinely liked all of them very much for different reasons! The clothes are amazing and edgy with each character being so different from style, personality and interests in the show, it adds an entire different dimension to the show. This show is 100% not PG, but to be honest I think that is what sort of makes it! Pushing the boundaries but in the best possible way! 

My hangover is making me lose the will to live/My brain isn't switched on today.
We all have those days where the night before you may have overindulged so as result you are feeling a little bit delicate. Alternatively you could have just had one of those days where you want to switch off, vegetate and watch rubbish TV. Reality TV and a good old comedy is the best way to do that, these programmes are either hilariously funny or hilariously outrageous. Either way, it is holy grail hangover or lazy day viewing.

Big Bang Theory - I love this programme so much! It is completely orginial, hilarious and so heart warming at the same time. The characters are so well written and they each have such loveable quirks that make you fall in love with them instantly. It is about a group of geeky guys that have a pretty girl move in across the hallway from them. I love the way the guys learn something from Penny, and Penny learns something from them. My Dad loves it, not sure how I feel about that...

New Girl - This programme like Big Bang is group of guys with the one girl dynamic. Jess (Zooey Deschanel) moves in with a group of guys after being cheated on by her long term boy friend. Obviously a lot of situations arise when a cooky girl moves in with all these boys. It is so unique, hilarious and the character are so loveable and relatable. There is a long drawn out will they won't they storyline with Zooey's character and one of the roommates. You will invest yourself sooo much in this let me tell you!

Modern Family - This wins ALL the emmys and you know why!? It's AMAZING! It is about a very diverse family with a gay couple, adopted kids, age gaps, moody teenagers, everything! This of course means that it is just ridiculously relateable, and some of the little arguments and situations that play out are just perfect as it could be your family whenever they all get together. It also has a great mixture of comedy and poignant, heart breaking moments that have you fighting the tears. Probably my favourite of the comedys at the minute! Phill Dunphy has me crying with laughter and searching on tumblr for gifs all night!

Dance Moms - Okay so confession... I danced as a child and this programme just brings it all rushing back to me in the best way. The extravagant costumes, the scary teacher, the competitive and bitchy mothers and the bonds you make with your fellow dancers you will never forget. This programme while being pretty car crash TV is so entertaining. The mothers fight constantly and there is always a healthy dose of drama between them all, which obviously makes amazing viewing for us. This is my go to hangover viewing along with some pizza, I could watch it for hours on repeat. I also have to mention which I think is ridiculously over looked is the talent of the young dancers in the show! The girls are just fantastic, so committed and they work so hard! You are not supposed to have favourites but mine is Paige, she is so funny and the sweetest child ever!

Geordie Shore - This programme is I must admit pretty outrageous and I can understand why people would hate it! I on the other hand love it! I love the people, I love the drama, I love the nights out and I don't care! It features a group of guys and gals from Newcastle living in a house together and going out getting very drunk all the time, that is about it... I  genuinely invest myself in the ridiculous relationships drama and find myself shouting at the TV. I love when they all get absolutely mortal as the Geordies say, it makes me feel better about my own drunken antics! It is much like Jersey Shore but to be honest probably worse if that is possible. I love it, judge me I don't care! Charlotte and Gary will they won't me is dragged out in nearly every series but I wish they would just get together already!

Made in Chelsea - I'm a beauty blogger I like nice things, I say this because I see a pattern emerging with my TV viewing. I love all things luxurious and glamorous, if you do too you will love this programme. It is about a group of very wealthy, very posh ,twenty something year olds living in London's lavish Kings Road, Chelsea. It features wealth, luxurious holidays, cheating, champagne, pampered pets, it is the best kind of escapism there is! There is so much drama I don't even know where to begin, it's very rich people have problems too! If you want to chill before bed and switch off your brain this programme is the one for you! These girls literally have the perfect hair and skin. I could not be more jealous...

Americas Next Top Model - This show has been going for like 20 seasons now and I think I have seen virtually all of them! As the title suggests its a competitive reality show where 20 or so girls fight it out to win a coveted modelling contract and amazing campaigns. Tyra Banks is behind this and it shows, it is bitchy, fabulous, over the top and I love it! When I watch it I find myself critiquing all the models photos like I'm Anna bloody Wintour. The new series features girls AND BOYS! Hot male models is definitely my idea of a great TV show!

I hope you all find this helpful in finding the perfect programme to binge watch! As you can see I have a slight TV problem and this is only part 1. I should probably step outside and experience nature now as all I seem to do is shop for make-up online and watch TV!

2 comments:

  1. It makes me happy when I see other people as addicted to TV as I am! Nice picks :) I have yet to ever watch Gossip Girl I need to get round to watching that!
    Love Made in Chelsea <3

    Alice x
    http://alicepalacee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I am glad to hear it's not just me! You have to watch Gossip Girl, it is amazing!
    Thanks for your comment! x

    ReplyDelete